Download Full Text (4.5 MB)
The formal petition of the Holland Colony to the Senate and House of Representatives for funds for "the construction of a secure harbor." The committee making the petition is composed of A.C.V.R. and the five men who are the "proprietors" of the village, Vander Sling, Ver Horst, Schrader, Grotenhuis and Binnekant. The document gives a good description of the Colony: There are now within our limits, two water Saw Mills, one steam Saw Mill, and one wind Saw Mill; three custom grinding mills, one ashery and soap and candle manufactory, one tannery, one brick yard, and one boat yard. We have eight places of worship, and eight schools, for of them taught by American teachers. The document also claims that "Not less than 5,000 souls have landed on the shores of Michigan, and most of them are now comfortably settled in their new homes."
The original documents are held in the Albertus C. Van Raalte Collection (M300) or the Dirk B.K. Van Raalte Collection (M301) in Heritage Hall, Hekman Library, Calvin University, Grand Rapids, MI. The Van Raalte material in Heritage Hall has since been reorganized.
This digitized material is intended for personal research/study only. The original documents may not be reproduced for commercial use in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without permission in writing from Heritage Hall at Calvin University. Contact the Curator at Heritage Hall.
Van Raalte, A. C.; Schrader, T.; Vander Sling; Geotenhuis, B.; Ver Horst, A.; and Binnekant, J., "The Formal Petition of the Holland Colony to the Senate and House of Representatives for Funds for "The Construction of a Secure Harbor."" (1849). Van Raalte Papers: 1840-1849. 226.