Download Full Text (770 KB)
An abstract of title for 39 acres in section 34, Holland Township, which was purchased by James Hutchins from the United States government on this date. John H. Ostrom, William R. Palmer and Thomas R. Walker purchased the land March 26, 1836. Courtland Palmer, Jr. purchased the land January 2, 1869, from Courtland Palmer. The names of John R. Kellogg and the Rev. Cornelius Vander Meulen also appear on the document.
The original documents are held in The Joint Archives of Holland.
This digitized material is intended for personal research/study only. The original documents may not be reproduced for commercial use in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without permission in writing from The Joint Archives of Holland.
Holland Township Government, "An Abstract of James Hutchins Title for 39 Acres" (1835). Van Raalte Papers: 1830-1839. 27.
Description of the document and reference to The Joint Archives of Holland by Dr. Elton J. Bruins.
About the collection:
Elton J. Bruins, long-time professor in the Department of Religion at Hope College, spent years collecting documents by and about Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder of Holland, Michigan and early patron of Hope College. Documents were gathered from dozens of public and private collections, making a nearly exhaustive collection of Van Raalte's writings and reflections. It is these documents that make up the "Van Raalte Papers."
Digitizing the Van Raalte papers was supported by the Dutch Culture USA program by the Consulate General of the Netherlands in New York. The project was done in partnership with Heritage Hall at Calvin University, which also digitized its Van Raalte collections.