H07-1640.7. Basketball Team (Men’s). Records, n.d., 1936-[ongoing] (incomplete). 1.50 linear ft.
In 1900, Hope’s first basketball team was formed for women and, in 1901, the first men’s team followed. Over the next 100 years, Hope basketball grew and efforts to accommodate the larger crowds resulted in several moves, from Carnegie Gymnasium in 1906, to the Holland Armory in 1930, the Holland Civic Center in 1954, the Dow Gymnasium in 1978, and finally DeVos Fieldhouse in 2005. Also in that time, Hope has won 32 MIAA championships, made 17 appearances in NCAA, earned 5 conference titles, and has been awarded 23 MVP awards. Collection includes newspaper clippings; printed dated and undated program/scorecards of the Hope College basketball team vs. others, such as the Lakeview All Stars of Lakeview, Michigan, Boters, Bethanys and Wealthy Florals of Grand Rapids, as well as many Michigan college teams; two tickets from the last men’s basketball game played at the Holland Civic Center, February 19, 2005; and DVDs of games against Calvin College, 1983-2010 (incomplete), as well as games against other schools.
A recommended citation will become available once a downloadable file has been added to this entry.