The original Alcor group was formed as a project by the Senior Girls Association (SGA) during the 1936-1937 school year, and for a short time was known as the Senior Girls Honorary Sorority before changing its name to Alcor Honorary Sorority in fall of 1937. Members were chosen from female members of the junior class on the basis of scholarship, leadership, and service. Once chosen, they were “tapped” on the day of May Fete (May Fest/May Day), presented to the May Fete queen, and were pinned with a blue and gold ribbon. Alcor officially became the Alcor Chapter of the nationally known organization, Mortar Board, in April 1961. The chapter began accepting male members, as directed by the national organization, in 1975. Mortar Board was established in 1918 as a national honor society for outstanding college seniors. Mortar Board has historically selected as its members those persons who have demonstrated scholarship, leadership and service. Such recognition is not only a statement of achievement but also an affirmation of potential. Collection includes background information; clippings, 1950-1996; minutes, 1937‑1949; scrapbooks, 1950‑1955, 1959‑1960; newspaper clippings; a history of Alcor written in 1949 which includes membership lists and the constitution; “Last Chance Talks/Last Lectures Series” lectures by Ion Agheana, Virginia Beard, David Clark, Jane Dickie (audiotape and digital), D. Ivan Dykstra, Lars Granberg, Charles Green, Edward Hansen, Steven Hoogerwerf, Mark Husbands, Arthur Jentz, Robin Klay, Dianne Portfleet, James Prins, Maura M. Reynolds, Edward Savage, Robert Vickers, Kenneth Weller, Donald Williams, Fred L. Johnson III (2010), James E. Bultman (2012), Donald Luidens (2014), and Charlotte vanOyen-Witvliet (2017).
Repository citation: Hope College, "H88-0418. Mortar Board. Records, 1936-[ongoing]. 3.50 linear ft." (2013). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 584.
June 4, 2013.