One business day required for collection retrieval – please contact archivist.
The International Education Office at Hope College was established by President Calvin Vander Werf in April of 1965 with Dr. Paul G. Fried as its first director. President Vander Werf announced it during a visit to Holland and Hope by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, noting that Hope was opening the office in the prince’s honor. The prince was in town for the dedication of Windmill Island, which includes De Zwaan, one of the last genuine Dutch windmills the Netherlands allowed exported. Fried served as the director of the International Education Office until 1981. In 1981, the former Vienna Fund was changed to the Dr. G. Paul Fried International Education Fund. Following Fried as director was Dr. Neal Sobania. Sobania served as director from 1981 until leaving Hope College in 2005.
The collection contains a book on the history of the program, Stepping Stones in International Education: A History at Hope College, by Lynnae Ruberg with Neal Sobania (2005), correspondence, photographs, clippings, financial records and information of the various study abroad programs, international summer sessions and exchange student programs. Also included are minutes, correspondence, clippings, photographs, agendas, schedules and information about the activities of the Hope College’s International Relations Club and the Association of the International Relations Clubs and their conferences. All folders are in alphabetical order and folder contents are organized in reverse chronological sequence.
Repository citation: Hope College, "H89-1045. International Education Office. Records, 1954-[ongoing]. 31.50 linear ft. PARTIALLY RESTRICTED" (2013). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 493.
May 7, 2013.