The Hope College Preparatory School was founded as the Holland Pioneer School in 1851. Its first principal was Walter T. Taylor. In 1857, the name was changed to the Holland Academy, and John Van Vleck was principal. In 1934, due to financial difficulties and more problems relating to the College’s accreditation, a motion was made by the Council of Hope College to disband the Prep Department. This process was completed in 1938. The collection contains the minutes of faculty meetings, graduation announcements, flyers, clippings, photographs, photographs of the Ufilias Club, and programs of Class Day Exercises and a letter of accreditation from the University of Michigan.
Repository citation: Hope College, "H88-0258. Hope College Preparatory School/Department (1851-1938). Records, 1857-1938. 4.50 linear ft." (2013). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 479.
April 25, 2013.