Organized in the fall of 1847 and began holding services in an “upper room” over a store on what is now Plankinton Avenue. The first church building was erected in 1849, and this log structure was located on Tenth Street near Galena. The group was incorporated as the Dutch Reformed Church of Milwaukee in 1851. A new sanctuary was constructed on the northwest side of Milwaukee and dedicated in 1949.
Pastors that served the church included Reverend Mr. H. G. Klyn, Siene Bolks in 1855, John Vander Molen in 1861, Adrian Zwemer in 1870, R. Duiker in 1874, William Moerdyk in 1878, who served two ministries with John Broek’s ten-year pastorate in between, Henry Veldman in 1901, Henry Bruins in 1907, Henry Ter Keurst in 1918, Winfield Burrgraaff in 1928, Richard Oudersluys in 1932, Maurice Marcus in the 1940s. The collection of the First Reformed Church consists primarily of historical material from the early days to 1975, including booklets from the 75th, 90th, and 100th anniversaries. It also includes lists of marriage, 1894-1895, membership from 1851 to 1939, and baptism records from 1869-1883.
Repository citation: Western Theological Seminary, "W99-1249. Wisconsin, Milwaukee. First Reformed Church. Records, 1850-1975. 0.75 linear ft." (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 364.
October 11, 2012.