The First Reformed Church had its beginning in 1847 when Dr. Albertus C. Van Raalte came to Holland to avoid persecution in the Netherlands. Regular services began in a log church, where Pilgrim Home Cemetery is today. The group of believers was organized as a congregation of the Reformed Church in America (RCA) in 1850 and, in 1856, the congregation moved into its newly-built Pillar Church at Ninth and College.
On February 27, 1882, the majority of the congregation voted to withdraw from the RCA and retained the church building and parsonage. The minority group then built a new building at the corner of Ninth and Central. They occupied this location until 1963, when they constructed a new church on State Street.
The materials of the First Reformed Church include records of the consistory, elders, and congregational meetings, membership, ladies aid society, women’s adult Bible class, women’s missionary society, young people’s Christian Endeavor society, young women’s band, correspondence, and 147 photographs. Also included are five Bibles and two membership books. The minutes of the consistory meetings are in Dutch until 1916.
Repository citation: Western Theological Seminary, "W93-1063. Michigan, Holland. First Reformed Church. Records, 1867-1990. 18.25 linear ft. PARTIALLY RESTRICTED" (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 362.
October 11, 2012.