H88-0393. Dimnent Memorial Chapel. Papers, 1920-[ongoing]. 1.00 linear ft.
Formerly known as the Hope Memorial Chapel and now commonly known as Dimnent Chapel. The name was changed in honor of Edward Dimnent, who served as an instructor, professor, and administrator from 1897-1948, including a lengthy term as president from 1918-1931. Collection includes background on the architect, W. K. Johnston (also the designer of Graves Hall [Graves Library/Winants Chapel], Macatawa Park Auditorium, Holland City State Bank [Clock Tower Building]); building process; chimes; cornerstone laying; correspondence with donors; dedication; organ; Memorial and Rose windows; general clippings; background materials; two publications: Chapel Talks on Christian Symbols by Paul E. Hinkamp, 1955, and Dimnent Memorial Chapel: After 50 Years Still ‘A Hymn Turned to Stone,’ by Elton Bruins, 1978; Dimnent Memorial Chapel historical book, 1963; program and prayer from the January 30, 2007, original contracts; plans, correspondence, and concert series program from the 1928-1933 installation and 2007 rededication of the Skinner Organ after a two year restoration process; a booklet titled Stained Glass Windows of Dimnent Memorial Chapel on the Campus of Hope College (2009); and 2008 DVD concerning the history of the chapel and its stained glass windows, featuring Frank Kraai (class of 1960) and Elton Bruins (class of 1950). The original plans for the Skinner organ are stored in the Hope drawer of the oversized cabinet.
A recommended citation will become available once a downloadable file has been added to this entry.