The Communication Department at Hope College has undergone several name changes since its founding in 1866. Early on, the department was a sub-department to the English Department, but later separated away from it. At that time, the communication classes morphed together with forensics and theater to create the Department of Expression and Public Speaking. In 1937, speech officially separated from forensics and became its own department, then officially became the Communication Department in 1969. Today, the department houses courses on effective means of journalism, media production, international communication, and likewise forms of interaction techniques and methods. The collection includes newspaper clippings, correspondence, annual reports, department documents and staff documentation. Speech contest records, 1941-1966, are in the William Schrier papers. The collection also contains two Hope College Anchor special one-page editions from 1934 and 1939 concerning oratory competition victories referred to as Glory Day (stored in Hope Oversized Collections drawer of cabinet).
Repository citation: Hope College, "H97-1302. Communication Department. Records, 1898-[ongoing]. 2.00 linear ft. PARTIALLY RESTRICTED" (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 230.
July 16, 2012.