Chemistry was taught at Hope as early as 1864; the theological emphasis of the school did not shy away from studying the hard sciences. Early leaders included Douwe Yntema, Almon Godfrey, Edward Wichers, and Gerrit VanZyl. New facilities such as Van Raalte Hall and Lubbers Hall, along with thePealeScienceCenter, have been built to provide for the expanding department. Other notable figures in the history of the department include: J. Harvey Kleinheksel, Calvin Vander Werf, and Eugene Jekel. Collection consists of minutes, annual reports, newspaper clippings, photographs and slides, and news releases associated with the Hope College chemistry department. Includes twenty-two reel-to-reel tapes from a class entitled “Discovery in Chemistry,” taught from 1977-1979. Also includes a brief history of the chemistry department written by Irwin Brink and Brian Williams and three reports: “A Determination of Variations in the Agal Populations of Lake Macatawa, Holland, Michigan, by Donna March”; “Investigations Pertaining to Highway Saltings of Lake Macatawa Area, To October 1973”; “A Preliminary Study of Pollution Abatement Benefits and Costs for Lake Macatawa, by John Conatser and Melvin Harju, 1973”; a grant application and narrative concerning the Lake Macatawa Citizens Symposium titled “The Lake Macatawa Environment: An Experiential Citizen’s Conference,” 1976; and “Suspended Solids and Organic Matter Content of the Black River, 1973.”
Repository citation: Hope College, "H88-0366. Chemistry Department. Records, 1964-2010. 2.75 linear ft." (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 199.
July 10, 2012.