First worship service was held in the New Groningen School on May 27, 1951, under the unofficial name of “Waverly Heights Reformed Church.” Ground was broken for a new building in April 1952, and the first worship services were held in the new building on December 21. Sixth Reformed Church merged with Calvaryin 1995. The church has been served by Senior Pastors Denekas (1952-1958 ), Leonard Weesies (1958-1963), Howard Maatman (1964-1975), Dennis Wilcox (1975-1982), David Smits (1983-1992), and Blaine Newhouse (1995–2011). Collection contains records and papers dating from its organization in 1951 to the present day, material pertaining to the organization procedures and early history of the church, complete record of the anniversary celebrations from the 25th anniversary in 1976 to the 50th anniversary in 2001, a chronology containing the important events in the history of the church drawn up in 1998, church directories from 1959 to 2000, copies of The Spire (later Inspired) (monthly newsletter), photographs of some of the important events and activities.
Repository citation: Western Theological Seminary, "W02-1268. Michigan, Holland. Calvary Reformed Church. Records, 1951-[ongoing]. 4.00 linear ft." (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 179.
July 5, 2012.