The Holland Rescue Mission was founded as the Holland City Mission by Nellie Churchford in 1907, before a building was purchased in 1927. Decades of nonprofit service to the poor in Holland expanded the Mission into two buildings, providing more living space for homeless families, including men, women, and children. The Holland City Mission changed its name to the Holland Rescue Mission in 1984. Along with families with little to no financial support, the mission housed persons with drug and alcohol addiction. The Mission’s purpose was to set strict rules of curfew and behavior for the residents so that they would be persuaded to both find work and try to reach a goal of a plan to support themselves and their families. The collection contains several photographs of building construction and charitable events, bulletins from churches associated with the Mission, along with pamphlets and advertisements for events. The collection also includes many newspaper articles from the Mission’s long history, financial records, and minutes of its building committee.
Repository citation: Hope College, "H15-1900. Holland Rescue Mission. Records, 1893-2010. 1.50 linear ft." (2020). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 1627.
June 5, 2020.