H09-1640.80. Basketball Team (Women’s). Records, 1955-[ongoing]. 1.00 linear ft.
In 1900, Hope’s first basketball team was formed for women and, in 1901, the first men’s team followed. Over the next 100 years, Hope basketball grew and efforts to accommodate the larger crowds resulted in several moves, from Carnegie Gymnasium in 1906, to the Holland Armory in 1930, the Holland Civic Center in 1954, the Dow Gymnasium in 1978, and finally DeVos Fieldhouse in 2005. Also in that time, Hope has won 32 MIAA championships, made 17 appearances in NCAA, earned 5 conference titles, and has been awarded 23 MVP awards. Its most distinguished achievement was in 1990 when the Hope women’s basketball team became the National NCAA Division III champions. Collection includes clippings, two game programs from 1981 and 1986; programs, 2015-2018 (located in the Basketball Team (Men’s) collection); a half-time interview with Sue Wise and the quarterfinal game against Buena Vista; 2006 national championship, 2005-2006 season tribute; videos of 1990 semi-finals game vs. Centre, 1990 championship game vs. St. John Fisher; 1989-1990 season highlights, and original 1990 fan sign created by student Sara Luidens and 1990 team members names printed on orange cloth. For last two items see Hope Oversized Drawer.
A recommended citation will become available once a downloadable file has been added to this entry.