William C. Brownson, Jr., A.B., Davidson College, North Carolina, 1949; B.D., Columbia Seminary, Decatur, Georgia, 1952; Th. D. in New Testament, Princeton Theological Seminary; 1963. The Westchester Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the USA ordained Brownson in 1953. He served as stated supply of Second Reformed Church of Lodi, New Jersey, from 1953-1955, and then as regularly installed pastor from 1955-1959. He was pastor at First Reformed Church of Roseland, Illinois, from 1959-1964. Brownson was a Professor of Preaching at Western Theological Seminary from 1967-1974, and a radio pastor for the Reformed Church radio and television broadcast “Words of Hope” from 1972-1994. One half-foot of the Brownson Papers are manuscripts and articles written by Brownson. The majority of the collection consists of genealogical and family history material related to Brownson’s paternal and maternal ancestors, the Brownsons of New England and the Clementses of Georgia. (The Brownson line includes Orestes Brownson, 19th-century Catholic divine and figure in the Transcendentalist movement.) The collection contains composer Oliver Brownson’s 1797 edition of the hymnal A New Collection of Sacred Harmony. Documents of Simeon Brownson record 1840s’ New England Christian attitudes toward slavery; an 1830 diary entry briefly mentions Greene C. Brownson, a New York State politician whose job became a casualty of anti-slavery politics. Diaries and poetry of William G. Brownson depict the life of a country doctor. Documents of Carleton L. Brownson, early 20th-century dean of City College of New York, are represented. A family register on a form lithographed by Nathaniel Currier and an 1806 Gaelic Bible complete the Brownson papers. The Clements line papers include journalism on the Southern poet Sidney Lanier, an ancestor.
Repository citation: Western Theological Seminary, "W01-1258.80. Brownson, William C., Jr. (1928- ). Papers, 1958-[ongoing]. 4.00 linear ft. PARTIALLY RESTRICTED" (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 160.
June 28, 2012.