John H. Jacobson served as president of Hope College from 1987 to 1999 and had a strong commitment to strengthening Hope's endowment, ending his term with $100 million, and increasing enrollment. By 1994, successful fundraising campaigns had helped build the De Witt Tennis Center, while the Haworth Conference Center opened the winter of 1997 and Cook residence hall opened in the fall of that year. Jacobson focused his energies on increasing multicultural diversity at Hope, renewing and fulfilling Hope's mission, and using strategic planning to chart the course of the college during the 1990s. He passed away in 2005. The collection contains addresses given by Jacobson, biographical information, correspondence, farewell open house materials from Hope College departments and faculty in 1999, Hope College inauguration materials from 1987, memorial services documents from 2005, President’s Report of Donors while he was president, and his vitae from 1987.
Repository citation: Hope College, "H99-1362.50. Jacobson, John H. (1933-2005). Papers, 1972-2005. 0.50 linear ft." (2012). Collection Registers and Abstracts. Paper 16.
March 13, 2012.