W14-1422. Reformed Church in America. Classical Board of Benevolence. Records, 1875-2012. 3.50 linear ft.
Please visit the Joint Archives of Holland page for more information.
One business day required for collection retrieval – please contact archivist.
The Classical Board of Benevolence, RCA, was organized in 1875 and incorporated in the State of Michigan as a “Charitable Organization.” The Board has met annually each year since to raise funds from the churches of the Regional Synods of the Great Lakes and Mid-America and to loan money to needy and worthy students at Hope College who were studying for Christian ministry, the loans to become grants after the student completed five years of ministry in the Reformed Church. The Board is comprised of one or two representatives from each Classis of the Synods, about half clergy and half laypersons. Also a representative from the Religion Department of Hope College and the office of the Dean of the Chapel are members of the Board. A secretary/treasurer is elected by the Board. The collection includes applicant materials, Articles of Association and Articles of Incorporation, board membership lists and one image, correspondence, financial records, history and vision records, Michigan Report of Non-Profit Corporations records, minutes, One Hundredth Anniversary photograph (1975), promotional literature, Rules of Order, scholarship fund accounting records, secretary’s reports, and information concerning Dick D. Will-Pikaart.