Exhibit Type



image preview

Exhibit Date



Campbell Boat Company (1937-1953): In 1937, Kenneth Campbell came to Holland from the east coast to form the Campbell Boat Company. Campbell designed and oversaw the construction of large sailing yachts, small sailboats, and wooden powerboats for private owners and U.S. military contracts. In 1953 the Cambell yard was rented then purchased by the Beacon Boat Company, headed by Orville Munkwitz.

From Craft to Industry: The Boat Builders of Holland was an exhibition at the Holland Museum on display from June 14, 2013 through December 30, 2013. Materials for the exhibit were used from both the Joint Archives of Holland and Holland Museum.


From Craft to Industry: The Boat Builders of Holland was underwritten in part by proceeds from an endowed gift to the Holland Historical Trust from The Louis and Helen Padnos Foundation. This exhibition and related programming were made possible by the generous gifts of time, goods and services of Geoffrey Reynolds, Guest Curator; Grand Rapids Public Museum; David Scholten, Firehouse Boat Works; Land and Sea Upholstery; Holland Area Historical Society; The Joint Archives of Holland; Our Brewing Company.


Boat Builders of Holland, Chris Craft, Boating Industry in Michigan, West Michigan Boats, Lake Michigan, Lake Macatawa, Faculty Exhibits, Hope College, Joint Archives of Holland